Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Smurfing smurf smurfs

I just ran across a press release saying Sony and Columbia just bought the rights to a Smurf movie. And they're going to make it; apparently what the newest generation needs is exposure to to tiny little blue freakshows.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Smurfs. (Though to be honest, I love the "Robot Chicken" parodies much, much more.) But is a CG/live action movie really the way to go? And not just one movie--the people behind the project apparently see a whole series of movies in the mix. Check it:

Said [Producer Jordan] Kerner, "It all began with a holiday conversation with Michael Lynton and then another with Amy Pascal. Michael was raised with the "SCHTROUMPFS" in the Netherlands. He relished them as I do and suggested that it should be a live-action/CG film. Amy felt equally that there was potentially a series of films in the making. I knew that the dream would come true when we started working with Doug, Bob and Hannah. It all became very Smurfy! I have been working with Veronique Culliford, the daughter of Peyo, the author-creator of the Smurfs, and Hendrik Coysman, CEO of Lafig Belgium to bring this franchise to the screen. They have captivated me for years with their great humor and huge hearts."

(Via the Sony/Columbia press release.)

So, does this mean they'll be killing yet another relic of my childhood (unironically, unlike "Robot Chicken")? Or will this "series" merely go gently into that good night, kind of like the Garfield movies?

(Yes, shut up, I loved the Garfield comics from ages 5-10. We all have our vices.)

No comments: