Wednesday, May 28, 2008

You there, up front!

I started writing this post about a week and a half ago, so it's a little dated. I just found the time to update, so bear that in mind when you read this.

The UpFronts have been going on for a little bit now, and I didn't realize until now how much of a fucking bummer it is that Northwestern gets out so late. If we got out at the same time as most regular schools, I could be there, making my mark and actually getting news firsthand, for a change.

Mais, non.

So I'm forced to scour Variety for my information. And in my scouring this morning I happened upon Fox's pilot slate. From there I stumbled across a pilot called "The Cleveland Show." I was confused until I saw the producing credits. "Seth Macfarlane?!" Really? They're really making a "Family Guy" spinoff? About Cleveland? So now the viewing public has to deal with a painfully unfunny "Family Guy" ripoff (Macfarlane ripping himself off, that is, with "American Dad"), but also an entire show centered around one slightly marginal character. If I cared more about "Family Guy," I'd be worried. However, there are bigger, stranger pilots afoot.

NBC hasn't presented its pilot slate yet, but rumor has it there's a "The Office" spinoff in the works. Last I heard, though, they hadn't chosen the character they'd spin off. Of course, this could be a brilliant, successful move. Perhaps we'll get to see Ryan (BJ Novak) in prison, trying to fend off other white-collar criminals in a bizarrely humorous, toned-down Oz.

That idea, though, would probably crash and burn. I have a lot of faith in the show's writers, but most of "The Office"'s characters are...caricatures. Will we follow Meredith (Kate Flannery) into rehab as she finally confronts her alcoholism? The office drones are at their best when dealing with Michael (Steve Carell), whether he's on- or off-screen, so it's hard to see how this would work.

No comments: