Monday, March 16, 2009

Come on, WB.

While being unemployed certainly sucks quite a bit, it does come with one small perk: After compulsively refreshing Mediabistro's job listings page every five minutes for five or six hours, you can take a break and do whatever you want. For me, this break usually involves me watching an episode of some TV show or other. Lately, I've been in a "Season Four of ER" mood, which, thanks to the periodic weeding of EW's TV on DVD collection, I have all to myself. But sometimes, you need a little Veronica Mars to help yourself remember that you can indeed be a badass if you want to. (Also, watching too much ER makes me want to go to med school, which would probably be a bad call on my part. Though it would make my mom very happy.)

Obviously, you can watch anything you want via STC's links, but sometimes those links take way too long to load, or are really finicky, or they're dead. So when The WB (and all its great teen-y shows) was resurrected a while ago via TheWB.com, I was ecstatic. VMars! Everwood! My life was now complete!

Except the site is terrible. It's gone through a few makeovers since the launch, but the design was never the problem. The problem is that none of the damn videos will play properly. Which...sort of defeats the purpose of the site. I'm perfectly willing to watch eps with ads in them, but I do want the eps to actually load. Of course, the ads all load and play flawlessly. Convenient.

It seems to me that it would be easier for these shows' studios to just put their episodes up on Hulu. I don't know the financial intricacies involved in cutting a deal with the Hulu people, but it has to be worth it. Anything has to be better than losing potential viewers because your site doesn't work.

Therefore, TheWB.com, I implore you: Just put your shit on Hulu. It'll make life better for everyone. I promise.

No comments: