Monday, December 7, 2009

On #tebowtears

Obviously, I was displeased with the result of this Saturday's SEC Championship Game. Florida losses always hit me like a suckerpunch, but this one was exceptionally brutal, and I truly hate Alabama with a fiery burning passion. Plus, they made Tim Tebow cry:



I hate a lot of things with a fiery burning passion. But what I don't do is: a) wish physical harm upon members of the other team or b) celebrate their tragedy. During the NU-Iowa game, when it looked like the Iowa QB's ankle had gotten snapped in half, I did not cheer, because I am not an asshole.

So when I looked at my Facebook Live Feed and saw the disturbing number of statuses that read, "HA TEBOW'S CRYING. MY LIFE IS COMPLETE. SUCK IT," and "I won't be satisfied with the outcome of the SEC championship game unless someone breaks all of Tim Tebow's limbs," I was filled with rage. Then I saw that, no shit, #tebowtears was the fourth-most-popular trending topic on Twitter, and I began actively seeking a way to smack the shit out of people via the internet.

Say what you will about the Gators, or their fans, or their coach. But one thing no one can deny is that Tim Tebow is one of the greatest college football players of all time (one of; not the greatest). You also cannot deny that he is an incredibly nice, stand-up guy. Yes, he's a bit of a "Jesus freak," but, unlike so many other players (including his own dumbass fucking teammate, Carlos Dunlap), he has never done anything detrimental to his team. He loves the game of football more than anything in the world (aside from Jesus). He's been a leader in the truest sense of the word.

And to have God knows how many people celebrating his failure and wishing him harm? That is one of the most repugnant things I've seen in a while.

Would you people rather he be an asshole? A thug with a bigass arrest record? A guy who takes illegal gifts (yes, I'm talking about Ohio State's Troy Smith)? Why is it that his excellence and general wholesomeness is viewed as such a negative thing?

Everyone loves some schadenfreude now and then, but there's a fine line between "schadenfreude" and "being an irredeemable prick." Apparently no one I know has any idea this line exists, which is rather disturbing.

So go ahead and celebrate. Make your horrible trending topics. Because the next time you fall and break your leg or get laid off, Tim Tebow is going to laugh and call you a bitch for crying.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, yes and yes. I completely and totally agree with everything.

ally10 said...

All I have to say is I completely agree. Tim Tebow is as classy as they come. I mean he even called Alabama classy (which I wouldn't completely agree with) and said he was happy for them. Also, at the Heisman Trophy ceremony the Alabama quarterback was freaking out. So Tebow asked him if he wanted to go outside and pray. So he went outside and prayed with him. I don't understand people. All I can get from all of this Gator and Tebow hatred is that people are just plain ugly. It's a very sad world, I wish Tebow all the luck in the world. I hope he makes everyone eat their words!!!