Tuesday, November 10, 2009

On Wet Paint

First off, let me just say that I love Sesame Street. I think it is the greatest educational program on television, and I hope it never goes off the air. My earliest memory comes from an earthquake when I was three years old; the clearest part of that memory is the Sesame Street t-shirt I was wearing at the time.

However.

There was one clip that never failed to terrify me as a child. It was a music video called "Wet Paint."



My terror whenever this segment appeared onscreen supplied my parents (and, later on, my siblings) with endless amusement. "It's just paint, Munchkin!" my father would say while I burrowed my head in his shoulder and cried.

I was too young to articulate exactly what it was about this that freaked me out so very badly. And one would think that, now that I've reached the ripe old age of 22, I would no longer be able to describe those feelings, since there's no way it could freak me out now.

But it does.

You guys, it freaks me out so bad.

I saw the clip on Hulu as I was enjoying a trip down memory lane (a.k.a. the Sesame Street Hulu page) and laughed. "Oh man, this used to give me nightmares." I clicked on it, eager to prove to myself just how much I've grown up.

My flesh immediately began crawling.

So now, I will attempt to make you all see why, exactly, this gives me the creepy-crawlies. (Side note: Remember Creepy Crawlers? I always wanted that set.)

First, the beat and melody to this song are bone-chilling. One of the beat-makers sounds like someone stepping into quicksand, and we all know what happens to people who step into quicksand. The melody does not indicate the happy fun times painting that the lyrics seem to want to indicate.

Furthermore, the lyrics do not actually indicate happy fun times with paint. There's lots of throwing imagery ("you slosh it all around," "slather it and slop it") and unpleasant words like "gushy," "smelly," "slippy," "sloppy," and "gloppy," which I associate with that horrible fudge monster in Candyland (a game I never liked, incidentally). And I also have to be careful not to drop it on the cold, cold ground? Like the ground that my corpse will soon be in?

But worst of all is the actual imagery. The way the paint plops down the wall in the background, like multi-hued blood; the way the video's title creepily drips down the screen. The be-galosh'd-legs (that look as though they are not attached to any sort of body) slipping around on a ton of paint on the cold, cold ground. And all throughout, occasional sprays and splotches cover the camera lens, blotting out the singers, culminating in an absolutely horrifying orgy of paint that completely covers the lens.

Go ahead and laugh, if you like. But now I know that some fears never die...Including that of wet paint.

4 comments:

Jesse North said...

Oh my God, this post cracked me up! I was laughing out loud at the part: "You mean the ground my corpse will soon be in?" Ugh. So good.

I don't share in your emotions toward this video (obviously, childhood remembrances are personalized and individual). But I DO see what you mean, and I think all your observations are really understandable. The word choices, "gloppy," etc, are definitely poor.

But this was just delightful to read.

I love the cows.

Danny F. said...

I actually remember this song as one of the few I LOVED from Sesame Street. "Wet paint!" ("Wet paint!" -Cows)

Alex said...

How Now Brown and the Moo Wave debuted in the 16th season of Sesame Street in 1984. They were a parody of then-current new-wave rock bans, but were also basically supposed to be a parody of stereotypical 80's rock bands, hence the way the members are dressed (especially Brown himself; the viking helmet is probably what gives it awawy).

Their music videos were also supposed to be an obvious riff on 1980's MTV music videos (the fake-style captions and the way their music videos are presented; Wet Paint even had its own MTV-parody intro in an extended version!)

Back to this song, however, yes, it is a terryfing music video at a young age. It ceartainly creeped me out when I was a kid. The chroma-keyed footage of the paint dripping and splashing on blue and white canvases, How Now's feet dancing in paint (that was really weird, but looks really fun) and the very end with the chroma-keyed paint coating the camera lens while the screen melts away, and the extended version is even more creepy when the colors mix in and you hear the cows screaming "WET PAINT!!!". Looking at it as an adult years later, the music video is just awesome and it smacks me in the head how How Now, his group, and his music videos are just so stereotypical 80's materail.

Their other song, Danger's No Stanger, surprisingly never creeped me out as a kid, but looking at it as an adult, it's also definetly spooky.

Alex said...

How Now Brown and the Moo Wave debuted in the 16th season of Sesame Street in 1984. They were a parody of then-current new-wave rock bans, but were also basically supposed to be a parody of stereotypical 80's rock bands, hence the way the members are dressed (especially Brown himself; the viking helmet is probably what gives it awawy).

Their music videos were also supposed to be an obvious riff on 1980's MTV music videos (the fake-style captions and the way their music videos are presented; Wet Paint even had its own MTV-parody intro in an extended version!)

Back to this song, however, yes, it is a terryfing music video at a young age. It ceartainly creeped me out when I was a kid. The chroma-keyed footage of the paint dripping and splashing on blue and white canvases, How Now's feet dancing in paint (that was really weird, but looks really fun) and the very end with the chroma-keyed paint coating the camera lens while the screen melts away, and the extended version is even more creepy when the colors mix in and you hear the cows screaming "WET PAINT!!!". Looking at it as an adult years later, the music video is just awesome and it smacks me in the head how How Now, his group, and his music videos are just so stereotypical 80's materail.

Their other song, Danger's No Stanger, surprisingly never creeped me out as a kid, but looking at it as an adult, it's also definetly spooky.