Wednesday, May 6, 2009

On Celebrity Love

Despite my undying hatred of the celebrity-obsessed culture in which we are currently ensconced, I am not immune to celebrity crushes. These tend to be of a more cerebral nature; the guy is usually attractive, but it's mostly the characters he plays that draw me in. Or maybe I had a personal experience with him.

At any rate, apparently all bad news concerning these "crushes" just bounces off me.

Case in point.

I'm no stranger to belligerent drunks. While I'm an affectionate (very affectionate) drunk, I've run into my fair share of these people. But when I first read this story, I didn't think "My God, Kiefer. What the hell?" No. I thought, "You know, most belligerent drunks would settle for a swinging fist. But not my boy Kiefer." Because, seriously, who head-butts someone outside of a soccer match? But since this is the guy who plays Jack Bauer, I give him a free pass in the court of my heart. (This sort of gets into the idea of merging an actor and his character into the same being, but that's a post for another time.)

Another of these "You Can Do No Wrong" crushes is none other than Mr. Jeffrey Scot Tweedy. (This is definitely a more intellectual crush, because boyfriend is the very definition of "homely.") I've heard he's kind of a dick sometimes, and allegedly kicking the drummer out of your band by having the manager call him is pretty cold. But even with all those stories, I can't dislike the guy. Every time I see him onstage I want to run up and give him a hug. (Also, Tweedy doesn't have a producing credit on I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, so it really does seem like Jay Bennett is suing the wrong party.)

I know I'm not alone in this, though. If this were a PopWatch post, this is where the customary "What about you, PWers?" would come in. But it's not. So yeah.

No comments: